WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, has announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: BatmanTM
and One PieceTM
magnetic action figure sets
Mattel Inc., of El Segundo, Calif.
Small, powerful magnets inside the accessories of the toy figures can fall out and be swallowed or aspirated by young children. If more than one magnet is swallowed, they can attract inside the body and cause intestinal perforation, infection or blockage which can be fatal.
The firm is aware of 21 incidents where a magnet fell out of the toy figure, including a case of a 3-year-old boy who was found with a magnet in his mouth. The boy did not swallow the magnet and no injuries have been reported to Mattel and CPSC.
The recalled BatmanTM
- The BatmanTM Magna Battle ArmorTM BatmanTM figure with model number J1944,
- The BatmanTM Magna Fight WingTM BatmanTM figure with model number J1946,
- The BatmanTM Secret IDTM figure with model number J5114, and
- The BatmanTM Flying FoxTM figure with model number J5115. The seven inch tall action figures include the Batman logo on the front and include magnetic accessories. The model number is located on the lower right corner of the tag which is sewn to the figure.
The recalled One PieceTM
- One PieceTM Triple Slash Zolo RoronoaTM figure with model number J4142. The 5 ½ inch tall action figure has green hair, black pants, and has magnets in his hands which connect to magnets on various swords that the figure can hold. The model number is printed on the back of the action figure's left leg.
Discount department stores and toy stores nationwide from June 2006 through June 2007 for about $11.
Consumers should immediately stop using the toy and contact Mattel for instructions on how to return it to receive a free replacement toy.